Question: I hear a lot about reincarnation. What does the Bible say about this subject?
Answer: Yes, the Bible has a lot to say, in several ways, about the satanic teaching of reincarnation.
- In Matthew 22:32, Christ is speaking and states...
“I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”
We know that the bodies of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are dead; but, not their souls and spirits, which are present with the Lord, are very much alive. God is God of the living. No reincarnation here!
- In Matthew 17:1-3, we find Christ at the Mount of Transfiguration, along with Peter, James and John. Jesus was giving them a “preview of coming attractions,” as He would appear in His glorified body after His Resurrection. To strengthen their faith, He brought up Moses and Elijah from Paradise and carried on a conversation with them. Notice Matthew 17:3,
“And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias TALKING WITH HIM.”
Moses and Elijah had been dead for hundreds of years, i.e. their bodies; but, their souls and spirits were just as much alive, after their bodies had died, as they were when they were in their bodies. They are identified as the same persons after death as they were before death. No reincarnation here.
- In Luke 23:42,43, we have the conversation between Jesus and one of the thieves on the cross. Verse 42 records the words of one of the thieves as he addressed Christ,
“And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.”
In Verse 43, Jesus makes it perfectly clear he is not going to be “reincarnated” as someone else or into the body of an animal. Here is the assurance that Jesus gave him for his faith.
“And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.”
No reincarnation here. You go directly to Paradise if you are saved; or, if you are an unbeliever, you go directly to Hell. Reincarnation is the Devil’s lie to deceive the simple minded who cannot bear the thought of an eternal Hell. Proverbs 14:15 says concerning the philosophy of men,
“The SIMPLE believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.”
- In Philippians 3:20,21, the believer is assured he will have his earthly body changed into a heavenly body like that of the resurrected body of our Lord Jesus Christ. There is no reincarnation of a person going into the body of another person, or living in the body of another person.
“For our conversation (Greek, politeuma, i.e. “citizenship”) is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: (20) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.” - Philippians 3:20,21
In Revelation 21:4 the Lord describes the condition of a Christian, at home with the Lord, in his new, transformed body; without the sin nature he had with his earthly body.
“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”
No reincarnation here.
- God’s word refutes any thought of reincarnation in Hebrews 9:27.
“And as it is appointed unto men ONCE to die, but after this the judgment.”
Reincarnation is diametrically opposed to the Word of God, in that it teaches; that upon death, the person goes into the lower body of an animal or another person; continually rotating, until they are purified from all sin. So, you would have many deaths; as the person’s soul passes from one body to another. The Bible says you die ONCE physically, and then the judgment. No rein-carnation here.
2 Corinthians 5:1,2 lets the Christian know that, when death comes to our earthly bodies, we have a new, glorified body, fit for our new home in Heaven.
“For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle (our physical bodies) were dissolved (death), we have a building of God, an house (our glorified bodies) not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. (1) For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house (our new bodies) which is from heaven:”
No reincarnation here.
- In 2 Corinthians 5:8 Paul states,
“We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.”
Not present in another physical body, whether animal or human! No reincarnation here.
- In Revelation 6:9,10, John is shown a preview of coming events upon this earth. When the Rapture takes place, this will be the beginning of 7 literal years of tribulation and God’s judgment upon the earth. The last 3½ years are known as The Great Tribulation, such as the world has never experienced since the creation of mankind (Matthew 24:21). The last 3½ years are when the Antichrist falsely announces himself as God (2 Thes-salonians 2:4), and will head up the one-world government requiring all to take the mark of “666.” (Revelation 13:17,18). Those that are Christians will refuse and, if apprehended, will be beheaded. (Revelation 20:4). It is these Christians, who die for their faith in Jesus Christ, which John witnessed in Revelation 6:9,10. Here is the record.
“And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: (9) And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth.”
In summary, these Christians who die do not go into another body, human or animal; BUT, directly to Heaven. No reincarnation here as this fallacy is “vainly puffed up in the fleshly mind.” (Colossians 2:18)
- John 14:1-3 disintegrates reincarnation into nothing more than the imagination of the mind. For instance, reincarnation teaches that; with each reincarnation you purge away your sin until it is completely gone. This is the Devil’s delusion, denying the fact that Jesus Christ is the only one who could, and did, pay for the sins of the world. Christ’s words in John 14:1,2 are very clear.
“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (1) In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” (2)
Christ did not go to Heaven to prepare the mansions for us. Notice that...
“In my Father’s house ARE many mansions…”
What Christ did was, go to the cross and shed His own sinless blood for the remission of sins for every individual. Ephesians 1:7 states it clearly,
“In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.”
The purpose of the cross was,
“…that where I am (Christ), there ye may be also.”
In other words, we could live with Christ for all Eternity. No reincarnation here.
- In Luke 16:19-31 we have a true, literal account, given by Christ Himself, of a saved and a lost man and their destinies after death. Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Unity, Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard, Herbert W. Armstrong, and etc., deny the existence of a literal Hell for the lost.
For example, Jehovah’s Witnesses excuse this portion of Scripture, claiming it is only a parable. This false view is easily refuted by students of the Bible; as, no parable ever uses a proper name, and Lazarus’ name is used here in Verses 20, 23, 24, 25. There is no exception to this rule in the Bible. In Verses 19-21 of this passage we have a rich man who was lost; and a poor man, named Lazarus, who was saved. In Verse 22, Jesus tells us what happened to Lazarus when he died,
“And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom...”
“Abraham's Bosom” is Jewish terminology for Paradise. It is the same place Jesus Christ, and the thief on the cross, went upon death. Notice Luke 23:43,
“And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with ME in Paradise.
No reincarnation here.
Next, Christ explains what happened to the rich man who died and was lost. Notice Verses 22b-24.
“…the rich man also died and was buried; (22) And in HELL he lift up his eyes, being in torments… (23) And he cried and said, Father Abraham have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.” (24)
No reincarnation here.
Some of these cults say that Hell is only here on the earth where we live. This is easily refuted by the fact that: (1). There are no Christians in Hell. (2). There are no churches in Hell. (3) And, the lost cannot be saved in Hell. Therefore a literal Hell is prepared for the Devil, his angels, and all of his children who have rejected the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior. Matthew 25:41 explains this.
Then shall he (Christ) say also unto them (the lost) on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.”
Who Is Behind Reincarnation?
- Two people, husband and wife, formed the cult religion of Unity, known today as the Unity School of Christianity. This cult religion, as we shall see, is no more Christian than the breakfast cereal “Grape Nuts Flakes” consists of flakes made from grapes and nuts. The founders of Unity were: Charles Fillmore, a man interested in spiritualism, Hinduism, and who also was an agnostic; and his wife, one Myrtle Fillmore, who had been raised a Methodist.
She moved from New England to Kansas City, Missouri, and was converted to Christian Science in 1887. She overcame several physical ailments after being converted to the Christian Science religion founded by Mary Baker Eddy. About 1893, both Charles and Myrtle became interested in the philosophy of Yogism, Hinduism, and reincarnation as endorsed and projected by one Swami Vevikananda of India. From here came the cult religion, Unity, incorporating the damnable philosophy of “reincarnation.”
Here are some of the things they do not believe.
- They do not believe the Bible to be the inerrant word of God. They will not usually criticize the Bible, which would cause a disagreement with a Christian; but, will reinterpret the Scriptures, allegorizing them to fit their own philosophy.
- They do not believe that God is a personal being. When they speak of God, they are not speaking of the God of Creation; nor of the God who gave His only begotten Son on the cross. It is summed up in their writings about their philosophy concerning the God of the Bible,
“God is not…a person, having life, intelligence, love, power. God is that invisible, intangible, but very real, something we call life.” (“Lessons in Truth,” Lees Summit, MO, Unity School of Christianity, 1944, Pg.6).
- They do not believe that Jesus Christ was God manifest in the flesh.
- They do not believe in a literal Hell or a literal Heaven. Their teaching is that the only Heaven or Hell you will experience; will be received in accordance to how you behaved in each of your incarnations.
- Since the cult, Unity, does not believe in a personal God who created this world nor its occupants; it, therefore, denies every doctrine that the Bible teaches. In other words, their teaching is, since there is no personal, intelligent, omnipotent, omniscient God; then, how could someone who doesn’t exist write a book for us. Therefore, the Bible was only penned by different people expressing their own ideas and philosophies concerning the world and mankind.
God’s warning concerning these cults is found in Colossians 2:8,
“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”
Another woman you should know about, who believed the same concerning what we have previously stated at the beginning of #5 about the Unity cult. Her maiden name was Helena Petrovna and she was born in Ikaterinoslav, Russia, in 1831. At 17, she married a Russian general, named Blavatsky, who was much older than she. About 3 months later, she left her husband. For nearly the next 27 years she traveled extensively; you might say, world-wide, studying various mystical religions.
In 1875, she came to New York and founded The Theosophical Society, along with two of her faithful followers. One of her most Satanic writings is entitled “The Secret Doctrine,” which philosophy underlies the New Age Movement today. She is known as Madam Helena Blavatsky. In 1879 she left the United States en route to India, and in 1891, at the age of 60, died in London, England.
According to Blavatsky’s theology of the cult, Theosophical Society, there are 7 distinct planes in the Universe. The souls of people must progress through these by their reincarnations, en route to the Theosophist’s Devachan; their so-called “Heaven.”
What About Suicides as Influenced by Reincarnation?
There are different reasons and situations that contribute to the cause of one taking his own life. (There is an astounding amount of teenage suicide in America today.)
- A teenager has experienced the alcohol, sex, and drug maze, concluding, “If this is all there is to life, then what is the use of living.” So, he, or she, takes his own life.
- A teenager, whose mind has been scrambled by drug use, thinks he can fly. They go to the top of a building, jump out the window and “fly” to their death.
- A teenager, hallucinating on drugs, goes to a bridge, jumps off and drowns; never thinking of the consequences.
- I know of a case where a girlfriend broke off her relationship with her boyfriend. He went out and shot himself to death. (It is sad that people can’t realize that relationships can be temporary; but, death is permanent!)
- Some have experienced such a “high” on drugs that they continually crave the experience. This has led to many deaths by OD.
- Despondency over accumulated debts to the point where there appears to be no way to resolve the situation. The home is about to be foreclosed on. The car is about to be repossessed and their wages are about to be garnisheed. Suicide results as they picture themselves enclosed in a vault with no door of exit.
These are but a handful of situations that could lead to one taking his own life.
NOW, I would like for you to apply to the above situations the damnable, satanic philosophy of reincarnation, as projected by the cults of Unity School of Christianity, The Theosophical Society, and the New Age Movement. Remember, they have “brainwashed” the gullible that there is NO HELL; and, that no matter what you have done previously, upon death you will be reincarnated into another body. In other words, with each incarnation you will do better until all sin is purged. Believing this, you have extinguished the fear of death in your mind. I wonder…how many suicides have been influenced by this kind of humanistic philosophy?
Satan Is Behind It All!
In John 8:44 we are told that Satan is a murderer and a liar and that
“...your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.” (1 Peter 5:8).
GOD has proved His love for you in John 3:16.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only be gotten Son (Jesus Christ), that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
Not, “have reincarnation!”